Monday, June 21, 2010

I have continued and finished all my injections that lead up to my egg retrival. Glad that I waited until after school was out since I have been back and forth to Stanford numerous times over the past 9 days. Luckily my husband was able to come and drive me there as well. I am nervous, anxious, and excited but overall trying to remain calm and just go one day at a time. NOW this for me us a huge feat. I am a planner. I want to have all my ducks in a row, I believe that is the saying my mom uses with reguards to me regularly.  This process has been a huge test of patience and calmness. There is not a lot of information given to you and you feel a bit lost. It is not due to the lack of patient care in anyway. It is that the doctors and nurses don't want  you to stress and in all reality there are no knowns yet. How many eggs were retrived? What are the quality of the eggs that were retrived? How many fertilized? What day will the transfer be?

I find out this morning between 8am-9am how many of my eggs survived the night and were fertilized. My egg retrieval was yesterday morning and I am very sore. No bleeding and no major cramps. There are some cramps and definitely discomfort but nothing I can't live with. I will say I am walking a bit slower and it feels a bit reminiscent of my ileum resection.  I am not to workout for two weeks.When I find out this morning about the egg and fertilization status it will give me a better idea if there will be a day 3 or day 5 transfer. I only had 7 eggs retrieved. They want at least 6 eggs of good quality to do a day 5 transfer which is optimal. Day 5 transfer the eggs are considered  blastocysts and have a higher survival rate.  Day 3 transfer they have only divided 6-8 times. That being said the majority of IVF patients have a day 3 transfer. On a day 3 transfer they are likely to be more aggressive and put more eggs in than on day 5. We were told to consider whether we would want to be aggressive or conservative in our efforts. Which we did of course. I am ok with the idea of twins as long as it does effect the chance of a crohn's flare up. There are no promises but overall my doctor who is the head of the infertility department and whom has worked with numerous crohn's patients said there are not major concerns. All doctors would prefer a single baby. However, from what I have read it looks to be about 60% of all IVF patients end up with multiples. The problem with multiples is that there is likely a lower birth weight and commonly an earlier delivery. Of which both of those can have numerous consequences or be perfectly normal. You can opt to electively reduce the number of babies in the womb. This is not an easy process from what I have read and can lead to the loss of the other baby or babies.  There are those with religious and or moral beliefs as well. I am prepared to transfer two eggs either day 3 or day 5. If the doctor highly recommends to transfer more on day 3 (only) based on egg health or other I will consider it due to her knowledge and experience. I however do not want triplets nor can I afford them financially or emotionally. I am also very concerned on how that might effect my stress levels emotionally and physically  with the outcome of a flare up.

Waiting for the phone call....

No comments:

WEBSITES

  • http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/index.htm
  • http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
  • http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.org/
  • http://www.ccfa.org/
  • http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/crohns-disease/DS00104